RemoteNetherlands, Zuid-Holland, RotterdamData
Relive is an app used by more than 14 million people to track and share their outdoor adventures. We think that being outdoors and exploring the world around you is amazing for your mental and physical wellbeing, and we're on a mission to get everyone exploring the outdoors and living a healthy and active life.
We’re passionate about being outdoors, sharing stories, and creating a company where we love to work. Bringing the best out of everyone as a team. That means constantly learning new things, being flexible about when and where we work, and empowering each other to do the best work of our lives. When doing things at Relive, we like to learn fast, together - creating a product people love to use and share. This means a lot to us. We have an open team culture and a bias towards action.
We're growing fast (100% YoY for most metrics). We currently grow 100% organically via viral/word of mouth growth loops - users share an activity from Relive to their social media and that triggers their friends to sign up too. This works because our users love our product and love to share it with their friends and family. We are aiming to have more than 100 million users of Relive within the next 3 years.
🦸 Data Engineer at Relive
We're looking for a Data Engineer that can enable roll-out and scaling of analytics initiatives across the organisation. You'll be part of a small Data Platform team (you + 4) who are mostly collaborating with all product & marketing teams within Relive.These teams, each with their own focus area, try to understand the problems our users are facing and find opportunities to improve. During the discovery phase, this often requires exploring and analysing all actions performed by our users in the app.
Your job is to work with your team to understand the analytics needs of the teams and to deliver solutions that enable the entire organisation step-up our game in delighting our users to live happier and healthier lives. You'll work together to unlock new goldmines of information, release new analytical tooling, go from useless to valuable data and enable state-of-the-art tooling to process billions of records on a daily basis.
⭐ The highlights
- We work in empowered and autonomous teams. All teams are given clear focus areas, ambitious objectives, and the safety and trust to do amazing things. This gives everyone a chance to focus on having an impact rather than wasting time with meetings and red tape.
- Our product is growing really fast - more than 1 million new users per month in 2021. We've been growing 100% organically, our users love our product and share it with their friends and family.
- We've got huge amounts of data (growing exponentially) and the teams want to have it all, fast! This is a chance to develop your skills in processing massive amounts of data by optimising the use of and introducing new state-of-the-art tooling. You'll never have to worry about new challenges to solve.
- You'll contribute to all analytical processes across the organisation - you'll contribute to use cases around user attribution, user activation, high-scale A/B testing on millions of users and more.
- If you want to work on a consumer product with insane growth and are ready to grow yourself and learn faster than you could ever imagine then Relive could be the place for you.
🔭 What we're looking for
👍 Our Data Engineer is:
- Analytical translator - we have to translate business concepts to data and tools constantly for teams that have various focus areas. We have to align extensively with them on the format and usability of solutions and understand the user impact of technical decisions we make.
- Mature developer - in the end we're a team that builds data solutions, coding should be one of your passions. You are able to take ownership on delivering data products from start to finish. If you enjoy processing tickets from a backlog, this role won't be a fit.
- Thinking big - the solutions we come up with should be able to scale massively over time. While we already have a lot of data and new initiatives following up each other in a high pace, this will continue to grow exponentially over time.
👎 On the flip side, our Data Engineer is not:
- Unstructured - the organisation relies on the solutions you deliver. A structured way-of-working is required to create transparency and manage expectations. On top of that, we've go a lot of data, with a lack of structure, you will easily get lost in it.
- Hesitant of speaking up - the teams will tell us what they need, but often don't think about the technical implications. You should feel comfortable to challenge the plans of the teams by using your technical expertise
- Lone wolf - you bring your skills to the group and work together to make an impact within the organisation. You're willing to work on any part of the data platform.
🙋 Who you are
- Experience - You’ve worked in a fast-growing highly data-driven organisation before. You’ve spent at least 3 years working in a similar role and you've worked extensively with massive parallel processing systems in the cloud. Nice to have: event tracking solutions, DBT.
- Strong data skills - Your toolbox contains a broad set of data manipulation techniques, with which you always manage to crack the problem. You're comfortable working with complex data sets (both structured and unstructured).
- Strong technical skills - You're proficient in writing efficient SQL, Python. You manage to co-develop with Git. You can build and scale cloud data warehousing solutions (ideally in AWS). Nice to have: Spark, (near) real-time streaming jobs.
- Focused on the goal - You don't get distracted easily. You set clear goals and keep your eyes on the price. You don't drown in a pool of requests from multiple directions.
- Problem solver - You like to work on and solve complex puzzles. Complex challenges give you an energy boost and you have a strong problem-solving mindset that helps you find a solution in any scenario.
- Love to help and support others - You try to understand the needs of others and you love the rewarding feeling when you've been able to help and support. You're a clear communicator and know how to simplify complex concepts into understandable messages.
👋 Remote first
We believe working at Relive should, just like our product, help you lead a healthy and happy life. It's important to be able to work flexibly - where you work, when you work. Being able to head out for a run to clear your head, or being able to work from nature for a few weeks per year. How much time you spend in front of your keyboard isn't what matters.
That's why we work remote first. It means our way of working enables remote working for everyone. It's up to you where and when you want to work. We trust you to spend your time wisely. All our rituals and teams are designed for remote working. You can work in any country in the +/- 1 hour CET time zone range, as we've not mastered the art of working across many timezones and we don't plan to invest our time in that challenge in the next few years.
We do have an office in Rotterdam 🇳🇱 where you can work if you prefer a physical space, and we're happy to help you relocate here if you choose. Like to have a change of scenery? You can work from any co-working space, no matter where you're located. We'll cover these costs.
We expect everyone on the team to get together a few times a year as we think it's important to make in-person bonds to strengthen our relations. That means a few times a year you can expect to travel to spend time with your team, make connections, and have fun together, like our retreat in September 👇
💛 Happy at Relive
✔ €50k to €70k salary + option to stock appreciation rights (SARs)
✔ Key position in a fast growing startup
✔ 40+ passionate people working on a product they love
✔ Lots of opportunities for personal growth and development
✔ Parent-friendly culture
✔ Our epic Explorers Policy:
🌍 Live & work from any country within -1/+1 CET
🏢 Unlimited use of any co-working space
☕ Monthly €50 allowance for your home office
🕒 Flexible working hours
🎉 2x company retreats per year to meet in person (and do fun stuff)
💻 Get all the tools you need to be productive
Let's go 🚀
We hope you're as excited as we are! Start by applying and we'll be in touch soon.